Intra-oral Scanners – What Are They?
An intra-oral scanner is a device that is used to capture a direct digital 3D image of your teeth & gum. The scanner projects a sophisticated light source onto the area to be scanned. The images are captured by imaging sensors and are processed precisely by software, which then produces a 3D model.
The Digital Impression Procedure – What’s Involved?
We capture an image of the tooth/teeth preparation. The impression is captured using an intra-oral scanner that is inserted into the patient’s mouth and moved over the surface area of the tooth or teeth. There will be a chair-side monitor to display the images as they are captured.
It takes approximately 90 seconds to capture a digital impression of prepared teeth. A scanned impression of the teeth in the opposite arch takes just 45 seconds.
As we review the real-time image, we can enlarge and manipulate it for enhanced detail.
Advantages of Digital Scanning
Some of the advantages digital scanning include:
- Less patient discomfort. Traditional impressions cause discomfort for patients. Traditional approach often causes gag reflex. Digital impressions eliminate discomfort by avoiding the need for materials and impression trays.
- Time efficiency. We just email the patient’s 3D virtual model to the lab without the need to deliver anything via mail. Are you looking for same-day restorations? With digital impressions, the images are directly imported to our design software (CAD: computer-assisted design), and after the design is complete, it is transferred to the manufacturing software (CAM: computer-assisted manufacturing) and put in the milling machine.
- Simplified procedures for the clinician. In complex cases, if we are not satisfied with the impression, we can delete and recapture the impression without having to repeat the entire procedure.
- Cost savings $$. Minimum number of appointments leads to direct savings and reduced consumables costs.
- Better communication. Patients also feel more involved with their digital treatment plan. In addition, patients are interested & they feel safer in modern technology.
Intraoral Scanner Applications
Intraoral scanners can be applied in various fields of dentistry for state-of-the-art diagnosis. It can also be used for fabricating restorations in prostheses, surgery and orthodontics.
In prostheses, an intraoral scanner is used to take a 3D scanned impression for fabricating a wide range of prosthetic restorations: inlays/onlays, single crowns and fixed partial dentures.
In prosthodontics, an intraoral scanner can capture the 3D position of Dental Implants. It can also be used to fabricate implant-supported restorations.
In orthodontics, an intraoral scanner is very useful for diagnosis and treatment planning. Digital 3D models can be used for before & after treatment demonstrations even before the start of treatment. We are also specialized in Digital Invisalign Clear Aligner treatment with the help of intraoral scanner.
Why LASER DENTAL 3D Scanner?
Our consultant Dr. Shihabur Rahman BDS, FCPS, FWFO (USA), Clear Aligner specialist (USA), Certified Smile Designer (USA) is intensively trained & certified specialist of Trios-3 intraoral scanner. He has received his digital intraoral scanning training & certificate from “3 Shape” academy.